In India, if you are 18 years of age and above, you can apply for a Voter ID card. And since the elections are coming up, you should definitely cast a vote. For those who do not have a voter ID card, this article would certainly be of great help. Here we cover how to apply for voter ID card. With the online website of the election commission of India, getting a voter ID card has become very easy. Follow the steps as given here and you would get your voter ID card ready within a few days.
Advantages of Applying for Voter ID card Online
- You will not need to visit the office yourself. This would save you a lot of time.
- Also, when you apply for the Voter ID card offline, you need to stand in a long queue for getting your photograph clicked. But when you apply online, you can upload the photo yourself without standing in any queue.
- Most of the times, when you are dictating your details to someone, they might note down the wrong spelling. This causes an issue later on. When you are filling the form yourself, there is no chance of such issues. You have the option to double check all the details.
- There is no second thought that online applications submitted by users get processed easily and you get your voter ID card much sooner than if you apply offline for the same.
Pre-Requisites to Apply for the Voter ID card
- A recent photograph of you (passport sized).
- Proof of identity. You can use either your birth certificate, passport, your PAN card or even your 10th standard mark sheet as the proof of identity.
- Proof of address. Again, you can use your passport or driving license here. If you don’t have those, you can also give your ration card or any of your recent utility bills. Those would solve the purpose.
Step 1: Go to ECI Website
First of all, you need to log on to the official website of the Election Commission of India. You would find various kinds of forms there. Keep in mind that you need to go with Form 6.
Step 2: Enter your Phone Number
As soon as you select the option of Form 6, you would need to enter your mobile number. Make sure that your number is working fine and is able to receive text messages. Next, you would get a text message on your phone.
Step 3: Verify your Phone Number
The text message that you just received contains a verification code. In the next step, you will need to enter this code in the box provided. Then, click on proceed.
Step 4: Enter your Details
After verifying your phone number, you will need to enter full details about yourself. This includes your state, your district along with your place of birth and so on. Do not forget to carefully enter your full name. This name will appear on your voter ID card so it has to be correct. After entering all the details, click on the save button. Let the details be saved and then hot the continue button.
As soon as you click continue, you would receive a text message on your phone. This will contain your user ID (which is actually your phone number), your password (again this is your phone number) and your application ID (this is a computer generated unique application ID).
Step 5: Fill the Form 6
Now, you would see Form 6 on your computer screen. You would need to fill the form with correct details. Enter your full name, address, birth place etc. It might ask you to enter the details of your family members, so enter that carefully as well. Upload your photograph and a proof of DOB as well as a proof of permanent residence.
Step 6: Submit the Form
Once you are sure that all the entered details are correct, click on submit button. That is all. Now you can just relax and wait for further processing.
That’s all. Your work is done and rest depends upon the election commission. You can track the status of your application time to time by logging on to the website. In case you feel that your application is not even proceeding any further, you have the option to fill out a new application form as well.
Keep in mind that after you have filled the form, an EC representative would come to your address to verify the address that you provided. They might want to verify the other details as well. Then, you can sit back and relax. You would receive your voter ID at your home itself.