Beti Bachao Beti Padhao aims at creating a better society where girls are given equal importance as boys. It was in the year 1991 that the child sex ratio was 945. And this means that there were 945 girls per 1000 boys. Since then, we were trying to improve this scenario. But it seems like the child sex ratio is deteriorating even more, instead of improving. As a result, in the 2011, we had only 918 girls per 1000 boys. So, the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao is a scheme with a major objective to improve on this scenario.
Objective of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Mission
1. The first part of the scheme, which is, Beti Bachao, means to save the daughter. This clearly indicates that we need to save the girl child born.
2. The second part of the scheme, which is, Beti Padhao, means to make the daughter study. This indicates that just saving the girl child is not enough. We need to provide equal educational opportunities to her. This will make her capable to get a good life in the future.
3. So, we can say that the objective of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme is to promote gender equality.
Who has taken the Responsibility of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme?
This Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme is not the result of any one ministry’s decision. Rather, three ministries came together to take up the responsibility. And they are as below.
1. Ministry of Women and Child Development
2. Ministry of Human Resource Development
3. Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
Key Features of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme
1. The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme will not only prevent female infanticide, but it will also provide protection to the girls in the country.
2. Since so many cases have been happening around the country, the scheme is trying to provide proper protection to girls. This will empower them and make them feel safe.
3. Education of the girls is a primary concern. Parents think that they have to stay at home and be housewives at the end. So there is no need to provide them education. But they don’t know that in this era, we need to provide everyone equal opportunities. So, the scheme will cover this issue.
4. The government will also declare 24th January as the girl child day. And it will encourage parents to celebrate this day. The basic aim of the scheme is to celebrate the birth of the girl.
5. Government will restrict the child marriages completely. They would inspect the areas from time to time. And if anyone is found guilty, they will get a heavy fine.
6. This is to improve the current situation. Once a girl is married, parents do not take responsibility of her education. And even the in-laws put her into household work. This spoils her entire life as she does not get any learning.
7. Also, they will inspect the clinics regularly to find out is female infanticide is happening.
Functioning of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme
1. As per the most recent stats of the child sex ratio, the government will identify 100 districts which have lowest child sex ratios.
2. Later on, government will try to cover more districts under the program.
3. The scheme will go step by step. First of all, they will try to improve the child sex ratio in 100 districts by 10 points per year. Gradually they would increase their target.
4. Also, they will try to cover at least one district in each state of India. However, they will choose more districts from the state of Haryana. This is because this state has too less sex ratio.
5. They will raise aware ness about the need to save the girl child.
6. The major aim of the scheme will remain to prevent sex selective elimination. For this, government will ban gender tests. Any doctor who agrees to gender test will get a heavy fine.
7. Also, they will ensure that the girl child not only survives but also gets proper education.
What Strategies is the Government Going to Follow for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao?
1. They will organize social campaigns to raise awareness that girl child is equally important. Also they will try to promote girl child education.
2. Also, they will take intensive actions in those places where the child sex ratio is too low.
3. They are trying to provide training to urban local bodies and grassroots workers. They will then act as social catalysts. And it will help to improve the situations in their particular areas.
4. And they will make sure that they address the gender rights’ issues properly.
Government is also coming up with other schemes such as the Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme. This will give parents a reason to cherish the girl child as well.
Key Benefits of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme
1. This is certainly a strong scheme. So, we can expect to see a rise in the child sex ratio.
2. The parents in India will get aware that they should take equal care of their daughters. And the scheme is also trying to provide proper medical aid to each girl in the country.
3. Most of the parents think that the marriage of the girl child is a major issue. And hence, they need to spend a lot of money in her marriage. However, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao covers the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana. So, parents just need to invest some money in it on a regular basis. Government will not deduct any tax from this account.
4. The districts where the child sex ratio is good will come under the good governance districts. So, government will also put their full efforts into the scheme.
5. If the child sex ratio improves, India will grow as a country. And it is certainly not good to not pay enough attention to the daughters in the country. And the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme is an initiative to improve the situation.
Let us know your opinion on the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme. Also, if you have any queries regarding the scheme, you can write to us in the comments section below.